Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:32 am 

Last year I did a trip report telling you what a great stay we had at the Ocean Park Resort with our puppy but neglected to follow up with a review of the hotel. :???: I thought there might be other people planning to vacation this fall with their pet and wanted to tell you all how happy we were with our choice to stay there.

We have stayed at a couple of other resorts at Myrtle Beach that may have been “fancier” but this was by far our favorite stay. We stayed in a deluxe oceanfront one bedroom unit (OD). We also took my son and his girlfriend and they stayed in an oceanfront room (AK). It was nice also, but I didn't get any pics of it before they messed it all up!

Our unit had a spacious bedroom with two queen beds and a wall mounted tv.

There was a north facing window in the bedroom.

The hallway had a closet that housed a full size washer and dryer! This is a real treat when you are staying somewhere for a week.

There was a full kitchen that was well equipped. Of course all we use the kitchen for is to reheat leftover pizza, lol.

Between the bedroom and living room is a bathroom.

The kitchen led into a large living room with a murphy bed and very nice décor.

There was a nice size balcony and of course the view was gorgeous!

The grounds are beautiful and very well kept. There is a nice outdoor pool

Indoor heated pool

Indoor/outdoor kiddie pools (sorry no pic)

Large hot tub

Sun deck

Easy access to the beach

In the basement they have an on-site groomer and a workout room. I don’t know why anyone would walk on a treadmill in the basement of a hotel when you can walk on the beach! I guess there are times of bad weather.

One of my favorite things about this hotel is the parking. They have a lot right in front so we were only steps from the front door. You all know how fun it is to fight for a spot in the unloading area or drag your luggage and groceries across Ocean Blvd so this was REALLY nice. Just pulled up, grabbed a cart, unloaded and we were all moved in for the week. The week we were there was not very crowded so we always got a spot in that lot, but they have underground parking as well which would also be convenient.

The staff was very friendly and we had no issues with housekeeping during our stay. They are very welcoming to your pet and even give them a treat bag when you check in. Going after Labor Day is a great time to go because you can have your dog on the beach at any time. We found several outdoor restaurants that allow dogs as well.

The only “cons” were that there was no lazy river, but we wouldn’t have used it because we were with the pup the whole time. It would be nice if they had an on-site restaurant/grill, but there is one right next door and two hotels down is a bar and grill called Marco’s that had some of the best food we had all week. Best grouper, chicken fingers and nachos I think I’ve had anywhere.

So if any of you are looking for a resort that is clean, convenient and pet-friendly this is a great place!

The hotel really isn’t crooked. It’s my picture taking skills. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:27 pm 

Wow, what an excellent report you have done. I do not have a dog but your descrliption made me want to stay there. We rent a house (no pets) in Surfside for the month of October. It will come in handy as a suggestion when friends with pets want to come to the beach. Great job on the review.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:22 pm 

Thanks - definitely need more "pet reviews".

Did a quick search and see it gets solid reviews on TripAdvisor and Hotels.com also (though FunBeaches are the only reviews that matter.....) :nanner:

Here are a couple other comments:

Quote:
Small Pets are permitted. A $15 per night Pet Fee will be collected at the front desk. There is a 20lb weight limit. 1 pet per room. Carriers are recommended in the event you must leave your pet alone in a guest room. Pets must be on a leash when in public areas. Pets are not permitted in pool areas. Advance notice is required for guests traveling with pets.

Daisy just crossed 21 pounds.... looks like she (and I !) need to lose a few...... :tongue3:

Edit.. another site said "dogs only".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Heidi, thank you so much for taking the time to write this review...and your photos are wonderful! I'll say thanks for all the dog lovers.

I hope you don't mind, but I moved it from Hotels to Trip Reports. I think it will get more attention, and is where people will be checking if looking for a hotel review.

If anyone with a pet is interested in Heidi's previous review, you can find it at the link below. Heck, even if you don't have a pooch, it is fun reading.

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=13662

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:08 pm 

Thank you beachlady. I've gained so much valuable information and gotten so much enjoyment out of other people's posts that I have to remember to give back!

KirkG - Thanks for adding that information. Angel is pushing 20 pounds too. Her and I need to hit the treadmill. Me more so than her. :???:

Patrish - Of course I don't mind you moving my post. You always do what is best for everyone here!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:50 pm 

Thanks for the excellent report. The photos are great! We stayed at OP the first week of June (without a dog) and I'll second the things you said. The staff is friendly and helpful, housekeeping is on the ball, and the parking is easy, quick, and convenient.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:00 am 

Well we were SO looking forward to our trip in September. Sadly now we are going to have to cancel our reservation. :cry:

A new little sister for Angel has come into our lives and as KirkG pointed out, Ocean Park Resort only allows one dog per room. The people she was living with decided it wasn't working out and wanted to give her back to the breeder. It was the brother of a friend of mine from work so we arranged a sleep over to see how they would get along. It was love at first sight.

So now we're back to trying to find a nice hotel that will allow 2 dogs. Any suggestions? I've been going through the hotels listed on Patrish's awesome pet page, but not really finding anything comparable. We definitely want oceanfront and would love to have a set up like we had at OP with the separate bedroom, kitchen living room. If our son was able to go again we could have one dog per room, but his work schedule won't allow it this year.

We've been thinking about a buddy for Angel for some time and the only thing keeping us from doing it was our week at the beach. I hated to deprive her of a playmate for 51 weeks a year just so we could have our 1 week at the beach and who could say no to this sweet thing!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:22 am 

Wow - too cute for words...... :mrgreen:

There has to be a place which allows 2 dogs..... just gotta keep searching.... and searching... and searching.

Friends of ours have 2 pugs and they found a place up near Wrightsville Beach, NC. Gotta be somewhere near MB !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:59 pm 
Forum Support

heidip wrote:
Well we were SO looking forward to our trip in September. Sadly now we are going to have to cancel our reservation. :cry:

Have you just tried asking if they would allow 2 dogs? Just explain your situation (don't forget to mention that you stayed there before and loved it!). Who knows they may allow it. It doesn't hurt to try, worst case they say no.

If you do call, call the hotel directly and speak to the manager. That way you don't end up with someone in reservation who is just reading the rules. Good Luck!

ETA: Have you checked this website? http://www.bringfido.com/