Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:56 am 

That's crazy, I had a friend who was there with his sons while it happened.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:46 pm 

Great photos!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:11 pm 

I was so excited to be back in MB this year I probably could write and write and write about our trip, however I will TRY to write the bulk of the review on our new adventures and food. I have been watching tons to MB vlogs and of course reading the trip reports here on the board in preps for the trip. It kinda helps build the excitement for me.

Doug and I worked until around 10:15 on the 5th. before meeting up with my mom and cousin to load up the car and head out. We were on the road by 11:00 which I think is record time. My mom packed a lunch for the car and we were on our way. The drive was pretty much uneventful. Traffic was very heavy on I75, I40, & I26. When we finally got on I20 traffic was much better. Of course it was the week of the 4th, but it was more extreme than years past. We arrived at the Legends Resort around 7:00.

As soon as we rolled into town we were ready for dinner. I was ready to hit the town and everyone else was exhausted. You have got to be kidding me who doesn’t want to go out their first night at the beach? Once again ended up at the Ailsa Pub right across from our Villa at the Legends for our first meal.

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=16380

I know I have reviewed the Legend Resort before but it has been a couple of years so I will make a few comments. I have always said the Villa’s at the resort are not five star, however they are clean and in my opinion a good place to stay for a couple of nights. I do think we all felt like it had somewhat went downhill a little in the past two years. Of course it may have just been our Villa. They are individually owned so I am certain some are nicer than others. I am sure we will stay here again just because we can stay here for $125 a night verses $225 right across 501 which is a good 10 miles from the beach.

Our villa is on the left.

Back of the villa facing the greens.

Last edited by Deanna on Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:17 pm 

Friday, July 6th
We started out with our normal routine of Doug golfing and the girls shopping. Doug gets a free breakfast, lunch and two beers with his golf package so he was taken care of until dinner. The girls tried a new breakfast joint for us….Dead Dog Saloon.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16381

After lunch we did our normal shopping at the Hammock Shops in Pawley’s Island and then did a little exploring before we headed back for a late afternoon nap. Why do these naps get better and better every year? Hum…this can’t be good. There was a time not so long ago that you would have never caught this girl napping at the beach. Looks like times have changed.

Most of you that have read my reports before know that I always look for new places to try and I certainly wanted a new place this first day at the beach. I chose Gulf Stream Café and the main reason I chose it was because they take reservations. There were 9 of us and we wanted to sit together. That would have been a crazy long wait somewhere that doesn’t take a reservation on a Friday night the week of the 4th.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=16382

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:19 pm 

Saturday, July 7th

Yippee, hooray, hot dog, hallelujah it is condo check in day. I am finally going to have that beautiful ocean front view for 7 days. Doug worked out a late check out at The Legends since he would be on the course until 1 so we ladies had a lazy morning. Around 10:00 we headed out to brunch at one of my favorites Croissants Bistro & Bakery.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16383

After brunch we headed over to Tanger 501 to kill time while Doug finished up with golf. He finally called around 12:30 so I headed over to pick him up so we could check out of the villa and then head over to our condo at Windy Hill Dunes in North Myrtle Beach. We finally arrived at the condo at 2:55 and it was clean and ready to us to enjoy as it always is. We had no issues with parking, elevators or lines of people trying to move in for the week. The beach really didn’t seem as crowded as it usually does. My mom and Doug spoke with an owner at Windy Hills and apparently they had just had a home owners meeting and rentals were down this year for that building. We actually love Windy Hill Dunes so I was surprised to hear that.

Not long after we got settled in we headed over to Barefoot Landing to eat at the Flying Fish. We arrived to an hour and a half wait at 4:45. We decided to accept it as part of vacation and walk around Barefoot until our table was ready. Wow at the changes they are making to Barefoot!! I love it! If you have not been there in a while you need to check it out.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=16384

After dinner one car load headed back to the condo while the other went for groceries at Wal-Mart. Guess which one I was in! Now we normally get this dreaded trip over before dinner, but it just didn’t happen this year. We arrived and it was just as crazy at 9 at night as it is at 3 in the afternoon. The only thing that is worse is a large portion of the staple items are sold out by that time in the evening. We will never wait that late again.

After groceries we headed to the condo to unload our items and then crashed for the evening. Not even a walk on the beach. It was a great first day at the beach though. More to come!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:21 pm 

Hey Deanna just curious where Doug ended up golfing at after you guys left the legends. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:56 pm 

Metric,

I finally got around to getting this info from Doug. At The Legends he played the Parkland twice. Doug was pretty bummed about having to do this because the Moorland course is his favorite. Of course we learned from the article you shared why all the courses were in such bad shape. He only played two other days during our stay (which is very unusual he didn't play everyday) and that was at Barefoot. He played the Fazio & Love courses. He was told these had the best greens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:32 pm 

Sunday, July 8th
I woke up to a beautiful sunny day in North Myrtle Beach. I can think of very few things that are much better than that. Isn’t it always fun to wake up on that first beach day. The excitement of putting your toes in the sand is just the best.
What a relaxing view with morning coffee.

All the girls were up and ready for breakfast fairly. Once again we ended up trying a new breakfast place and can I say it is oh…so…good. You do not want to miss Blueberry’s Grill

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16386

After breakfast we headed straight for the beach. It was a beautiful relaxing day.

Dinner was one of our favorites Crab Catchers in Little River.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=16387

Not wanting to go back to the condo we headed over to Barefoot. It was climbing with people. I noticed they had lots of what I call street performing. There was literally an entertainer on every corner. This was certainly an added treat. I enjoyed it and thought it added a lot to the experience while we walked around. We stopped and enjoyed several times. Sorry I didn’t get any pics, but I did get a pic of the carousel.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:54 pm 

Monday, July 9th
Our friends that stay at Grande Dunes wanted to meet for breakfast at the new location of Johnny D’s in North Myrtle.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16390

After breakfast it was once again our typical beach day. I was beginning to miss our son and his family so I sent our grandson a little reminder that his Grammy was thinking about him.

He did get to go to the beach this summer with his other grandparents so I thought I would share that pic. We are taking him in October and I can’t wait!! Did I mention he will have a baby sister on Aug. 6th. I plan to spoil her at the beach too.

Dinner was at Carolina Roadhouse

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=16391

We ended the night with a beautiful sunset

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:28 pm 

What a sweetheart! Congratulations on the upcoming “baby girl.” :angel13:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:47 pm 

Wednesday, July 11th

This day at the beach would hold a brand new adventure for several of us. My brother talked us into chartering a boat for some off shore fishing. I am always up for new adventures and I love the water so I was actually pretty excited to do this. Now Doug on the other hand has a huge fear of sharks so he was a little apprehensive, but ended up doing just fine. We had to meet our charter the “Wanda Jane” in Little River at 7:00. The “Wanda Jane” is rented through North Myrtle Beach Fishing Charters. We arrived a few minutes early and headed out.

There were six of us along with the skipper and his helper (whatever he is called). The boat was quiet nice with a full enclosure, plenty of shade from the sun and a restroom. The captain was very personable and kept us entertained throughout the trip. Can I just say I loved being out on the water and seeing the Intercoastal Waterway and North Myrtle Beach from that perspective. If you have not taken some kind of boat ride while on vacation add that to your bucket list.

Crab Catchers

Cherry Grove Pier - We were doing a little shark fishing at this point.

Our fishing time was four hours. We did not get one bite in four hours. On our way back the skipper told us that the fishing had been terrible due to a storm off shore. So…should we have been told this before our excursion? They had caught one fish the day before. Everyone knows there are good days and bad days in fishing, but a $700 boat ride is a little steep for me. So, again if you don’t catch anything should there be some reimbursement? Just curious.

After our long boat ride we went back to the condo and crashed. Being in the sun without a way to cool off was exhausting. Naps for all on this afternoon. We all woke to the sound of my mom in a panic. The washing machine was leaking out the bottom. I texted our condo owner and she immediately started working to get a repair man to service it. The repair man arrived two days later. There were so many of us my mom had to take our towels to the laundry mat to wash a few loads. I don’t know about you but that is not my idea of vacation. So, once again should we have been compensated in some way? Maybe fresh towels delivered at the least. You know these condos are very expensive and I understand these types of issues happen and can’t be helped. However, I did pay for the service. I would be interested in your thoughts.

Dinner this evening was in the condo. Doug and my brother wanted to cook on the green eggs. We picked up some fresh shrimp in Cherry Grove and meat for hamburgers. It really was good.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:52 pm 

Thursday, July 12

My niece had to twist my arm to take her back to Blueberry’s Grill for breakfast. Can’t say it enough don’t miss this place.

After breakfast we were so full. We drug our chairs to the beach and just laid around like beached whales. I was really getting tired of food by this point. It was a cloudy overcast day, but it was still a beach day and that makes it a great day.

For dinner 12 of us went to Clarks in Little River

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=16392

When we left the restaurant it was doing this

We all went back to the condo and set on the balcony watching the rain roll in over the ocean. Pretty relaxing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:46 pm 

I definitely think you should be compensated. We went somewhere the other day and the wife ordered a Filet and got a strip. We asked the waitress about it and she said she put the order in wrong (write it down lady). Just a short I'm sorry, no compensation, no free dessert, no manager apology (probably didnt tell him). I figure she was just trying to hide her mistake.

No washer is a huge inconvenience at the beach. You paid for it so you shouldn't be hauling laundry to the laundry mat. Give you $50 back or fix it that day and you probably get on social media and rave about how kind the person was and recommend her condo for rental.