Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shooting near Broadway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:11 am 

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/ ... 28279.html

We rolled up on this little gem right after it happened. We were on our way to Broadway, coming up bypass 17 when we saw all the lights and crime scene tape. It was 9:15pm. We thought it was a bad wreck. We went ahead and walked around Broadway for an hour or so then contemplated going to one of the piers. I got online to check something when I saw the headline of what had really happened. Needless to say, we made our way back to the hotel. I am not one to normally get bent out of shape about this stuff, I realize it happens everywhere, but this one was a bit much. It was prime business time, Broadway was absolutely packed with people, most of whom I'm sure had no idea what had happened. It's just getting ridiculous. For the first time, we did not feel safe. We did not want to be anywhere near the area, let alone go downtown and go to the pier. I don't know what the answer is, but this one got to us.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:57 am 

Shootings are terrible, but it seems like it was an isolated incident. Two drug dealers going at it, it could have happened anywhere but it happened near BATB. It's a good thing no innocent bystanders were hurt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:52 am 
Site Admin

I agree with Budwash. Many of the shootings, arrests, deaths, etc. are due to individual local Grand Strand residents with a grudge against someone they know. This one unfortunately happened near one of our largest tourist attractions. The media loves this sort of thing because they can tie it in with a popular venue and headline it to seem like a shooter was loose among scads of tourists.

The Sun news got this one right when they reported without making it sound like a random shooting at Broadway at the Beach:

- At about 9 p.m. that night, police responded to Highway 17 Bypass near 29th Avenue North for the shooting. An off-duty police officer heard the incident and reported it to dispatchers, Crosby said. When officers arrived on scene, they performed CPR on the victim, 27-year-old Ryan Rasheed Bryant. EMS then arrived and continued to provide aid and took Bryant to the hospital, where he later died of his injuries. Dawkins will appear before a judge for a bond hearing at 3 p.m. Saturday.
https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/ ... rylink=cpy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:20 pm 

I know that it the media loves to sensationalize this stuff. But I can tell you also that it was very unnerving to be there right after it happened. At the time, all they knew (or at least what they were reporting) was that someone had been shot, in the middle of the road, right in front of BATB, and the suspect was unaccounted for. As a "tourist" travelling with their family which includes 2 children, yes, it was a little nerve wracking. We have been coming here for 18 years. We didn't bat an eye last year after the shooting that made national headlines because the guy filmed it on facebook live. In fact, we were there the very next week. We stopped going near downtown several years ago, just not an area we wanted to take the kids. Like I said, I know it happens everywhere, I know that, in most cases, it turns out to be drug and/or gang related. It doesn't change the fact that these thugs don't care who else is around, or how many other people are around, or who might be in the crossfire.
I'm a realist, we live 20 miles from Cincinnati, where shootings, stabbings, and other drug related crime happen on a daily basis.(I don't frequent our downtown area here either, because there is no since in taking the chance.) It doesn't make it any less unnerving to have driven by right after that one happened. Like my husband said, had the guy been smart and wanted to blend in and not be found, all he needed to do was head to BATB and fall in with the crowd.
On the flip side, I'm always amazed that the local news there seems to want to sensationalize the crime even more. I know "if it bleeds, it leads", but they don't seem to get that if you continue to scare the tourists, eventually they will stop coming.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:32 am 

The guy who did the shooting looks like Predator.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:02 am 
Site Admin

>....The guy who did the shooting looks like Predator.

Speaking of predators, do you ever look at the mug shots? I think they are published once week.

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/ ... l-arrests/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall